Thursday 16 October 2014

Rotaract Gameshow Mash Up

Saturday 11th October. I accept an invitation from Camberley Rotaract to a fund raising event at Collingwood College. The DG accompanied me, because one of her additional duties is Liaison Governor for Rotaract in RIBI and consequently she is always keen to support their activities. The event was called a Gameshow Mash Up, and to be honest I really had no idea what to expect when we arrived. Rotaract is for 18-30 year olds so I had every expectation that I wouldn’t understand half of what was going on.

                                            Collingwood College Camberley

We arrived a little early, as we had brought with us our Rotary club’s microphone and speaker system to help with announcements, instructions etc. It was as well that we had arrived early, as I had assumed that, being young, they would know how to assemble my sound equipment. This proved not to be the case, and I spent the next 30 minutes hunched over a couple of complicated-looking boxes, various cables and leads and the microphone itself. I knew I had all the components, it was just a case of working out which lead went where, which switches to press, and which dials to turn. Eventually after much trial and error, and people looking over my shoulder making helpful suggestions, I made the right connection and the microphone boomed into life. Feeling rather pleased with myself, I put the unwanted bits back into the box. It was then that I discovered a laminated sheet giving precise and easy to follow instructions on how to assemble the kit, which should take about 30 seconds

                                         Setting up the electronic equipment

By this time the bar was open and I was delighted to see a barrel of Hogs Back beer, so enjoyed a pint whilst I got to know some of the Rotaractors, who were working with amazing speed, making the final preparations for the evening. If only Rotarians could work at such speed. The Club President is Will, whom I had met previously at my official visit to Camberley Rotary Club, and others I spoke to were Zoe, Emily, Dan and Beth. I only know their first names, as they don’t seem to use surnames very much in Rotaract. The event was organised to raise funds for a local charity called Step by Step.

                                           The all-important bar

With preparations complete it was time to sit down. Each team of six had its own table, and there were around 12 tables laid out around the hall. The charity Step by Step had brought a team and had their own table. Our team comprised the DG and me, Chrissie Lawson (the president of Camberley Rotary Club), and three of her friends, one of whom was a former colleague of hers at Farnborough College. With a great deal of thought, our team was called ‘District and Camberley’.

                                          District and Camberley team

 I soon learnt something about the format of the evening. It was basically a mixture of elements from a number of TV game shows, including Countdown, Play Your Cards Right, and I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here. There was an ongoing quiz whereby you had to solve clues stuck to walls and furniture around the room, the first letter of which were an anagram for another word. On the table as we sat down, were a picture quiz, whereby we had to work out film titles from posters, and another where we had to work out which musical various songs are from.

                                          A cake stall - there was an excellent apple cake

I thought we got off to a good start, as between us we knew 19 of the 20 musicals, and about 17 of the films. Countdown was a general game for the whole room, whereby everybody was given the same letters on a screen, and we had to make the longest word we could from the letters. Then we did a number challenge in the Countdown format, and one of Chrissie’s friends was particularly adept at this. There followed a lively game of Play Your cards Right. The rules were easy. A card was displayed, and we had to individually guess if the next one would be higher or lower. If you were wrong you sat down until the last one standing was the winner. Other games were played, similarly easy to play but surprisingly hard to win. I’m normally quite competitive, but as the evening went on, I increasingly realised that I didn’t have a clue about our team’s position in the competition, so like everyone else I just enjoyed the fun of it all.

                                          An on-screen question

Refreshments were provided half way through in the form of a ploughman’s, which the DG was particularly delighted with. Often at such events we are given fish and chips which she hates getting. It’s not that she dislikes our national dish, it’s just that when several dozen plates of fish and chips are delivered together, quality can suffer somewhat. The Ploughman’s, served buffet style, was very enjoyable and there was plenty for everybody.

                                              A ploughman's platter

We had a presentation from the homeless charity Step By Step, who were being supported by revenue from this evening, telling us about the good work they do in finding accommodation for homeless young people, and training them with skills required in the workplace. They have been going for 20 years and work  mostly in Hampshire and Surrey. Their mission is ‘to empower homeless people and those facing adversity to achieve their full potential’.

                                           A presentation from the charity

The main event after dinner was ‘I’m a Celebrity’, by which a volunteer from each team was blindfolded and had to fish pieces of a jigsaw puzzle out of a bowl of something that felt like vomit, and another team member had to assemble them. I don’t know why, but I volunteered to be blindfolded, although I’m not sure a picture of me poking around in a bowl of vomit, is a suitable image for someone in my position. We didn’t win this game although I’m sure I got all the pieces out. It must have been my assistant who failed to assemble them. Maybe she didn’t want to touch them, and I wouldn’t blame her for that.

                                        Why did I volunteer for this

There was a large raffle at the end of the evening in which I had invested heavily, but received a nil return on my investment. However, I was pleased to see that a good sum had been raised for the Charity, and they were clearly delighted with it. As the evening drew to a close, I went up to make sure I retrieved every piece of my sound equipment, as I would have been in big trouble at our next club meeting, if it was incomplete.

                                                   Trying to assemble the pieces


It was an enjoyable event, and I enjoyed the company of my fellow team members and of the Rotaractors. The beer was also very good.


No comments:

Post a Comment