Saturday 13 December 2014

Rotary at Christmas Part 1 - Party time


I have always said that Christmas is the reason I joined Rotary, because I remember the magic I felt as a child, when Father Christmas came down our road, waving at me from  his brightly lit sleigh,  with Christmas carols playing through a loudspeaker. (Obviously this was in the days before Health and Safety was invented, as Santa would not be allowed to ride in his sleigh today). I didn’t know then that it was all organised by the Rotary Club.  When, 40 years later, I got to know some of the local Rotary members, and they asked me if I would be interested in joining them, it was the thought of being part of that magic that persuaded me. Now after 15 years in Rotary, I have done many interesting things and travelled the world as a Rotarian, but it is still our Christmas activities that I enjoy most.

                                                          Street collections at Christmas

Shepperton Aurora’s sleigh is stored during the year at a local farm, and at the end of November it is brought out for cleaning and, if necessary, repairs and refurbishment.  John Dumbrell keeps it in his garage during the festive period, and members take it out and put it back whenever it is required. We share it with our ‘mother’ club, Shepperton and Sunbury, and split the various routes and collecting opportunities between us. I didn’t get involved this year with getting the sleigh out of summer storage, being busy with official duties as Consort to the District Governor, so the festive period for me got under way on 3rd December with the Rotary Club Christmas party, held this year at Castello Restaurant, opposite Church Square in Shepperton.

                                                               Castello Restaurant

Parking in that area is always a bit difficult, however Douglas and Sally Dick, who live just a few doors up from the Restaurant, allowed the DG and I to park on their drive, which was a great help. There was a good group of 30 or so of us, but we were a little more restrained than we might otherwise have been as we did not have the Restaurant to ourselves, but were segregated into the conservatory, whilst families and couples took up the remaining tables at the Restaurant. The organisers of the party, Chris and Karen, had been very busy organising quizzes and prizes, and making sure we pre-ordered our menu choices, them reminding us on the night what we had ordered. For some reason, they wanted me to attend as an Italian gangster, so I had an appropriate hat to wear, and I endeavoured to look suitably intimidating, and threatened a number of members with horses heads in their beds if they did not behave.  We were divided into teams for various quizzes, and our team, comprising the DG, myself, Janet and Pauline did exceptionally well, I thought, but were robbed of victory by several other teams.

                                                               The conservatory at Castellos

We had a special visitor on the night in the form of Michal Cantrell, a Rotary Global Scholar from the USA, who Rotary have funded to study for a year at Kings College in London.  Shepperton Aurora is her official host club, and she came along to our Christmas party, staying overnight with John and Jean. Originally from Arizona, she is an officer cadet at West Point Military Academy, and shortly to be commissioned. She was very interested in what we got up to as a Rotary club, particularly in our activity of accompanying Santa and his sleigh around the local streets, which doesn't seem to happen where she lives. She expressed a particular interest in a tour of Sandhurst, which I shall investigate on her behalf.

                                            Party night, with Michal Cantrell front left and the DG front right

The next Christmas activity for me was our static collection in Shepperton High Street on 6 December. Here we park our sleigh near the BP Garage, where Santa himself joins us, whilst four of our members take up positions along the high street with collecting buckets. It is very popular with young families and Santa is kept busy all day greeting children and adults, offering sweets and bonhomie to all. My slot as a collector was for the hour from 11 a.m. to 12 noon for which I stood outside the Co-op, trying not to obstruct their entrance or their trolley stand. You certainly see life when you stand in one spot for a period of time. There is a narrow service road outside the Co-op, and I saw some interesting attempts at parking, and some resultant car rage from other drivers. One poor woman parked her car, but every time she tried to lock it the car alarm sounded, much to her embarrassment and the annoyance of nearby shop owners. I offered to keep an eye on it if she left it unlocked, but even then the alarm went off periodically.

                                            Fine weather this year  - Ken Howe and Andrew Wasilewski with Santa

I am always surprised at the number of people who will stop and chat to someone standing holding a bucket wearing a hi viz jacket with Shepperton Aurora Rotary emblazoned across it. One woman told me most of her life story in five minutes, others brought their dogs along to be patted. Quite a few people said to me that they had already put money into the buckets of one of my colleagues, for which I thanked them profusely and let them off any further donations. At the end of our 4 hour stint we had collected over £500 which I felt made it a worthwhile exercise. I like to think that people trust Rotary and are happy to give money to us knowing it will be well used.

                                                          Conditions in the High Street were different 3 years ago!

There was a time when I avoided the High Street collections, as I was a bit embarrassed about people who knew me seeing me with a collecting bucket. My view has turned full circle since then, and I am now delighted to meet people I know whilst I am collecting. During my hour in the High Street I met several acquaintances, and saw it as a good opportunity to catch up with old friends, and explaining to them how the Consort would not normally be doing such menial work as collecting, but wanted to show that even someone in my exalted position can do his bit for the Rotary Club. Incidentally, I would have volunteered my services for longer than one hour, but I had to get back to Daisy, who was on her own at home. Once upon a time, the DG and I used to bring Daisy with us when collecting in the High Street. She would lie on a rug near the sleigh and would be quite happy being admired by her adoring public. However we had to stop doing this after an officious local councillor pointed out that we were violating a by-law (it might have been by-law number14 sub-section b (5) which forbids using unpaid dogs to entice innocent people to part with their cash (or words to that effect). Bah, humbug!

                                                     The DG does a stint


On 8th December we took the sleigh on our 3rd annual visit to Upper Halliford Nursing Home. This is one of our street collecting evenings, starting at 5.30 p.m. with Joe as Santa’s helper, and Laurie towing the sleigh. We always try to finish our routes by 8 p.m. on the basis that our target audience should all be in bed by then. Anyway on this evening Joe, Laurie and I met beforehand  at the Nursing Home at 4.30 p.m. to give the residents some festive cheer, before going on to the street collection. The Nursing Home staff are very good at getting as many of the residents as possible into the foyer to meet Santa, and it’s remarkable how much excitement there is among some very elderly, and very disabled people at meeting Father Christmas.  Proof indeed, if it was needed, that Christmas isn’t just for kids. We spent some time there, with Joe explaining what we would be doing  later on this evening. He also gave some amusing anecdotes about what children say to Santa when they met him. It was a pleasure to come here and share a few minutes with the residents and staff, before heading off to start the evening street collection. The Nursing Home Manager Pat, and activities co-ordinator Christine told us how much they appreciate our annual visit, and we will no doubt return again next year.

                                                           Upper Halliford Nursing Home (from their website)

No comments:

Post a Comment