Monday 10 July 2017

RIBI Conference Manchester Day 3

Saturday April 8th.  We were out of the Hotel early this morning, as the Conference was to be under way at 9.00. Of course we didn’t have to go if we didn’t want to, but as we had come so far, it seemed daft not to get involved. Actually, the PDG was less interested than me in attending the plenary sessions in the main hall. She spent much of this morning in the Community Showcase, which is where exhibitors set up stalls to promote their particular activity. As usual, she was drawn to the Guide Dogs stall, which had a couple of working guide dogs and a puppy in training with them. If I ever needed to find her that morning, I just had to head for the Guide Dogs stand.


There were plenty of other stands, over 70 of them, and over the course of the weekend I found time to wander among them, catching up with some I knew already, and getting to know others. For instance, Jane Walker from the Purple Community Fund (formerly called the Philippine Community Fund) had a stall, still selling bags, handbags and wallets made from the ring pulls from drinks cans. Between us, the PDG and I must have an example of everything they make. AW Matthews, from whom I bought Interact lapel pins last year were there again, selling badges and pins of all shapes and sizes. It would be easy to spend most of the morning in the Showcase, but to be honest my priority was to attend the plenary session, so I took my seat just as Eve Conway got things started.

Jane Walker - Purple Community Fund

The highlight of the first session of the morning was the presentation of the Rotary Young Citizen Awards, which were being filmed live on BBC. This meant that the auditorium was in ‘lockdown’ for an hour or two, as the BBC couldn’t have background noises of doors slamming, and noise from outside disrupting the recording. I was glad I had gone to the loo before taking my seat.

Eve Conway with this year's Young Citizen Award winners

The awards were co-hosted by Ellie Crissell, who does it every year, and Konnie Huq who was new to it. Of course the real stars of the show were the young people, who had been nominated by Rotary Clubs throughout Britain and Ireland for doing something extraordinary, whether that is community service, overcoming adversity, or otherwise gone out of their way to help others. As this year is the tenth anniversary of the Young Citizen Awards, winners from each previous year were also in attendance to tell us what they have been doing since winning their award. One of them, Grace O’Malley is now an accomplished opera singer, who was to sing at the Concert tonight.

Grace O'Malley

The rest of the morning was taken up by two outstanding presentations. The first of these was from the Born Free Foundation. The Foundation was started by the actress Virginia McKenna, who starred in the film ‘Born Free’, and her son Will Travers. The Foundation aims to stop individual wild animals from suffering and also protect threatened species worldwide. A tall order you might imagine, but as we heard there have been a number of successes including the rescue of elephants, tigers, lions and dolphins. It was great to hear Virginia McKenna talking about the dangers encountered when filming Born Free, and how as a result she resolved to do something to try and help the magnificent wildlife of Africa and elsewhere in the world.

Virginia filming Born Free with Elsa the lion cub

They were followed by the final, and probably my favourite speaker of the day, Ade Adepitan, a British basketball Paralympian and TV presenter of Paralympic sport. He is very charismatic, and had a lot of funny stories to tell us about the difficulties of growing up in the East End of London whilst crippled by Polio. Sport was the way out for him, as he discovered basketball and through hard work and dedication made it to the GB team, with whom he won a bronze medal in the Athens Paralympics. A regular TV presenter now, he pops up in many programmes, including BBC’s One Show and various documentaries. He co-hosted Children in Need last November with Graham Norton. Ade is also an ambassador for Rotary’s End Polio Now campaign, by which we are determined to eradicate Polio all over the world. At the end of the session I found the PDG hanging out with the Guide Dogs and told her about Ade’s talk, and how she should have been there to listen to him.  She said she had met him earlier and had a nice chat with him in the Community Showcase over a cup of tea, where she told him he has been an inspiration to her. How about that for being in the right place at the right time?

Ade Adepitan

It was now lunch time and there were no more plenary sessions today, but there were a variety of options open to Conference-goers. For instance we could attend the RIBI Annual Business Meeting. Well we’ve done that twice before and both decided ‘never again’. Alternatively there were various general interest sessions we could attend, such as Eric Knowles doing antiques valuations, or comedian James Allen. There was even a session on Guide Dogs for the Blind, but as the PDG had already spent most of the weekend with them, she decided she would go shopping instead. We had already done a trial run yesterday, and she was comfortable about using her electric chair to get on and off the trams, so I was free for the rest of the day.

Eric Knowles is a Rotarian

I had a ticket to watch Manchester City play Hull City at The Etihad Stadium that afternoon. However there was somewhere I wanted to go first. Having heard that Manchester Art Gallery had a good collection of LS Lowry’s paintings, I wanted to see them at first hand. Born in Manchester, he became famous for his paintings of matchstick men. With literally only about 10 minutes to spare, I dashed into the Gallery (entrance free) quickly located the Lowry room, and had a good look at the paintings on display. To my surprise, the canvases were not very big. I had expected great big pictures full of detail, but they were actually quite small. Still, it was good to study them close up and see how clever he was at injecting character and humour into his subjects.

Lowry painting

My whistlestop tour now over, it was back to St Peter’s Square to catch a tram to The Etihad. II had no difficulty identifying which one I wanted, it was full of people wearing Man City shirts. It was a bit of a tight squeeze when I got on, but that was nothing. There were about six more stops before we got to the ground, and more people managed to get on board at each stop. I ended up being pressed so tightly on all sides that I couldn’t move in any direction. Looking on the bright side, at least I wasn’t going to fall over. It was noticeable how good-humoured everyone was. There were Hull City fans mingling with Man City fans and I never saw a hint of any unpleasantness. What a refreshing change from the tribalism I used to encounter when I went regularly to football in the 70’s. I suppose it could also have something to do with the fact that a team at the top of the table was playing a team at the bottom, so the result wasn’t really in doubt.

Inside the stadium

When I got to the Etihad I had a few minutes to soak up the atmosphere before going in. There was a stage set up and the compere was interviewing somebody I didn’t recognise (probably a past player) and I had to shoulder my way through the crowd watching them to get to the food outlets. When I visit football grounds these days (not often, maybe once a year) I like to check out their meat pies, which are a staple at most grounds, I think. However, Manchester City fans are obviously more discerning, as I couldn’t find a meat pie anywhere, so with time running out before kick off, I opted for a giant sausage in a small roll, with onions and mustard. I was trying to eat it quickly, with a beer in my other hand, and I’m afraid most of the onions and mustard ended up on my shirt. This didn’t bother me as much as it might otherwise have done, because I wasn’t expecting to meet anybody I knew.
Proof I was there

Today happened to be Grand National Day, and I always like to have a bet on the race. As I didn’t have time to find a betting shop earlier on today, I decided to do so at one of the betting kiosks at the ground. I’ve given up trying to work out the best horse in the race, my plan is to select one who is priced at around 12/1. Favourites rarely win the National, but at that price you normally get a half-decent horse. So I found a kiosk, paid my tenner, and got a receipt. It was only later, as I checked my ticket at half time, that I discovered the kiosk would not be open after the match today, and I would have to come back at the next home game to collect my winnings, if any. Failing that I could visit any one of several betting shops to claim my winnings. These were all in Manchester, by the way.

The Grand National

I took my seat in the East Stand just before the teams appeared on the field, and realised I had made a big mistake. When I chose my seat online a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to ensure I didn’t have the sun in my eyes, so on the basis that the sun sets in the West, I selected a seat in the East stand. Doh!  I should have chosen the Colin Bell Stand which is opposite, as the setting sun would be behind me. I spent the whole match trying to shield my eyes from the sun’s glare, on probably the brightest day of the year so far. Funnily enough, I made the same mistake a year ago, when I went to see Ross County. Some people never learn, do they?

The Colin bell Stand - the one I should have been in

Despite all the above, I thoroughly enjoyed the match. Some of the best players in the world were on display, and it was a pleasure to see them at close quarters. It’s one thing watching the likes of Sergio Aguero, Yaya Toure and  Raheem Sterling on television, but when you see them live, you get a better impression of their skill and technique. I was sitting level with the penalty box, so had a good look at offside decisions. I was also able to observe John Stones, England’s best central defender going about his work. Having played in that position myself during my playing days, I could appreciate just how good he is. I don’t think I saw him put a foot wrong the whole match. The only slight disappointment for me was that my favourite City player, Kevin De Bruyne, wasn’t playing today.

John Stones
Hull City put up a spirited resistance, but didn’t really threaten Man City’s goal very much, and Man City ran out comfortable winners at 3:0. Although they didn’t win the League this year, Man City finished comfortably in the top 4, thus qualifying for the European Champions League next season. Sadly Hull City were relegated at the end of the season. On the way out I learnt the result of the Grand National. My horse came nowhere.

Aguero scores second goal

Earlier, when I arrived on the tram, I had noticed that we had to cross a bridge over the Rochdale Canal to get to the Etihad stadium. Knowing that this canal passed very close to my Hotel, I decided to follow it back into the City Centre. It was only a mile or so, and quite a pleasant walk along the towpath. The canal looked derelict in places and was full of rubbish, but as I got closer to the City Centre it became noticeably smarter, with fashionable restaurants and bars along the path. It was whilst walking past one of these, trying to look nonchalant, that I tripped and almost fell into the canal, much to the amusement of onlookers.

Caution low bridge - Rochdale Canal in Manchester


That evening, the Conference organisers had booked Katherine Jenkins for a concert. I’m a great fan of hers, and was looking forward to it. However a few months ago she cancelled, as she had landed a role in a West End musical. Instead, the organisers arranged a ‘West End meets Broadway’ show, which didn’t really interest us, so the PDG and I decided to do our own thing.  We went out for dinner and opted for a Chinese Restaurant on the edge of Chinatown. It was rather a smart Restaurant, with good service, but we really should have checked the prices before entering. It was without doubt the most expensive Chinese meal we’d ever had. We didn’t feel we ate all that much, not even expensive choices off the menu, but we didn’t get much change out of £100 by the time we left.

Katherine Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment