Saturday 4 April 2015

PETS - Horsham

March 28th. I attended PETS for the new District 1145.  Can I just explain that this has nothing to do with Daisy. PETS is short for Presidents Elect Training Seminar. Held at the same time as the inaugural District Assembly for the new District, the venue was Forest School in Horsham, where I believe a number of District-wide events are likely to be held in future.  The new District stretches from the River Thames in the North to Brighton in the South, and from Croydon in the east to Aldershot in the Wild West, and Horsham was the nearest the organisers could come to a central point. Apparently Dorking is actually the centre of the new District, but nobody knew of a suitable venue there. Had anyone asked me, I would have suggested Denbies Winery, which has a well-appointed Conference centre, but I have no idea about the cost of hiring it.

                                                        Daisy

 So why was I attending PETS? Regular readers of this diary will know I am not due to be President of my club next  year. Shepperton Aurora’s representative should have been Karen Sutton, who takes over from Pauline Hedges as President on 1st July.  Unfortunately Karen was detained in Sharm el Sheikh, on the Red Sea, being forced to go scuba diving and drink cocktails at poolside bars, so she asked me if I, as the President-in-waiting following her, could help out, as clearly she couldn’t be in two places at once.  Realising what a difficult decision faced her, I gallantly volunteered to go to Sharm-el Sheikh in her place. After the unlikelihood of that ever happening was spelt out to me, I of course offered to attend PETS in her place, and to take copious notes.

                                                               Sharm el Sheikh

The DG and Pauline Hedges took advantage of the situation by persuading me to take them to Horsham with me as they were both attending District Assembly. This was being held at the same time in a different part of the school. District Assembly always occurs at around this time of year, and is the occasion when next year’s Club  Secretaries, Treasurers and Committee chairs come to learn about their roles, and receive up to date messages from the Rotary International President.  The DG had two reasons for attending. Firstly, as the outgoing District Governor she had to formally welcome delegates to the Assembly, and, later, to PETS. Then after she had done this, she was to become a delegate in the Secretaries group,  because when she steps down as District Governor in June, she will be taking over as Secretary of Shepperton Aurora. Pauline was attending the Health & Safety and Equality & Diversity session with Kevin Mack. Kevin had visited our club only the previous Wednesday to talk on this subject, so she clearly likes the subject.

                                                       The DG and Pauline

There was a snag to these arrangements. District Assembly was due to finish at about 1 p.m. whilst PETS carried on until about 3.30. The DG, as ever, came up with the perfect solution, whereby she and Pauline would come home in my car at 1 p.m. whilst I would try to find a lift home amongst the President Elects in my group. I’m sure other Consorts to District Governors are not treated like this, but I was determined to maintain my dignity nevertheless. So I called Ian Bowyer, president Elect of our mother club, Shepperton & Sunbury, and asked him if I could scrounge a lift home . The answer was no, as regrettably he would be leaving PETS early because he needed to collect his daughter from the Airport. I considered arguing with him that the needs of the Consort should outweigh those of his daughter, but thought better of it, and resolved to find an alternative solution to my travel arrangements. I was reliably informed that the president Elect of Staines Rotary Club was going to be at PETS, who I haven’t met before. I decided I would offer him the privilege of driving me home. I didn’t have his telephone number, but would speak to him at the meeting in Horsham.

                                                         Forest School Horsham

Now, Club assembly was due to start at 8.45, and PETS at 9.30. As both the DG and Pauline needed to be there for 8.45 we left at an unearthly time to go and pick Pauline up in West Byfleet and then head down the M25 and M23. Being early on a Saturday traffic was light, and we were parked up at the school by 8.30. We arrived in the midst of a crisis, as there was no power coming through the wall sockets and consequently there was no hot water for teas and coffees. At this juncture I decided to leave my travelling companions to their dry throats and made my way along to the Business centre on the same site, where PETS was being held.

                                                                      Hot water urn - if there is power

When I arrived there was still more than an hour to go, and not many others were around. At least there was coffee available. By this I mean there was a big tin of Nescafe and a kettle, and we had to make our own drinks. There I was, Consort to the District Governor, who a few months ago was being clapped into the most prestigious banquets, now reduced to dipping a teabag into hot water to make a cup of tea. I even had to wash the cup up before I could use it. Well I still have another 3 months of high office to enjoy, but today was a reminder of what I could expect when I am forced to stand down at the end of June.
                                                                       DIY coffee

As the room filled up, I started looking for Syd Mair, President Elect of Staines, to organise my lift home. I couldn’t locate him, but was assured he was on the list to attend. Oh well, I expected I would catch up with him later.  It was interesting that the majority of the people in the room were completely unknown to me. This was because President Elects were attending from both District 1140 and the District we are merging with, 1250. The latter is a larger District, so it is understandable that I didn’t know many of them. Eventually Peter Dancy, the District Training Officer, kicked things off and introduced the two outgoing District Governors,  who welcomed delegates from their respective Districts. The DG was on first, and kept her address very brief, congratulating everyone for reaching the office of President of their clubs, and assuring them that they would enjoy their year. Doug Price, District Governor of 1250 followed with a slightly longer speech, in which he gave them some thoughts about what they could expect in the coming year.

                                                             The DG welcomes delegates to District Assembly

Next up was Peter O’Keeffe, District Governor Elect for District 1250, who detailed the priorities for the coming year, and brought messages from the incoming RI President Ravi Ravindran. There is always a new theme for the year with every incoming RI President, and this year’s theme is  ‘Be a Gift To The World’. Hmm, not sure I quite get that.  Peter even gave me a Presidential lapel pin with the new logo, which I shall pass on to Karen. After Peter’s address we all divided into geographical groups with  our respective Assistant Governor (AG). Our AG was Paul Hickson and his was area 10, which included Shepperton Aurora, Shepperton & Sunbury, Ashford, Staines….Wait a minute, there was no-one here from Staines! Unbeknown to me, Syd Mair had given his apologies and wasn't in attendance. What about my lift home? I started thinking that maybe I would have to deploy Plan B, which was to walk down to Horsham station and go home by train, via Clapham Junction.

Another year, another theme - This year's presidential lapel pin
                                                   
Also in our group was Martin Reynolds from Walton on Thames. If I hadn’t been so wrapped in planning how I was to get home I would have realised that I actually used to work with his lovely wife Gill at Runnymede Borough Council. She reminded me of this when I met up with her a few days later. Other members of our group were Peter Hope from New Malden, Lynne Dean from Surbiton and Tony Merrett from Chertsey.  I estimated that Tony probably lived nearest to me, and so I threw myself at his mercy, and, nice man that he is, he offered me a lift home.  So now I could relax and enjoy the rest of the day.

                                                           The audience at PETS - can you see me?

The session in our group was useful in getting to know President Elects within my immediate area, as everybody had a chance to introduce themselves and give an outline of their club’s activities. Paul asked everyone what was their major challenge next year. Predictably attracting new members was cited as a major challenge by many in the group. Some however, had other priorities, such as persuading members to volunteer for one of the club officer positions. It seems that too many Rotarians are happy to support their club’s activities, without wishing to take any responsibility.
After this session had ended, we took our seats again for a presentation on Rotary Foundation, which is Rotary’s own Charity. We heard how donations to Foundation from clubs were very variable, with some clubs exceeding the recommended amount of $100 per member, and others  donating nothing.  However, all clubs are able to obtain grants from Foundation to support their projects, both locally and abroad. I have some personal experience in this regard, as I am currently putting together a Global Grant application on behalf of Mission for Vision.

Peter O'Keeffe (left) with Peter Dancy

We then had a talk from Mukesh Malhotra and his Aussie counterpart Susanne Rea about their joint venture ‘World’s Greatest Meal’ . This amazing project was designed to raise funds towards the Rotary aim of ending Polio in the world. Their idea is whenever we have a meal, however small and informal, to look on it as a means of raising funds, which are then double-matched by the Gates Foundation. You could simply be meeting a friend for coffee, and you could decide to put the cost of a third coffee (say £2) towards the End Polio Now campaign. This £2 would become £6 thanks to Microsoft founder Bill Gates. Mukesh and Susanne’s project has gone worldwide, and in 15 months, some $3 million has been raised for the Polio campaign. Susanne was carrying the End Polio Now Flame, which resembled an Olympic torch. It has travelled all around India, and is currently being carried around Britain and Ireland. Mukesh and Susanne left with the biggest round of applause of the day.

                                                              The DG gets in on the act

By now it was lunchtime, for which a buffet spread had been prepared by Peter Dancy’s wife Toni, and a young helper. Slightly ominously, Peter asked those at the front of the queue to be sensible about what they took from the buffet, so that there would be some left for those following behind. I agreed wholeheartedly with this announcement, from my position at the back of the queue. People clearly had taken Peter’s request to heart, as by the time I got to the buffet (which was excellent), there was plenty left, in fact I was able to go back later for seconds.


The afternoon session was taken up with short versions of the presentations delivered to the various club officers and Committee chairs at the District Assembly in the other building. The idea was to give President Elects an overview of what their team had heard at Assembly, so they know what the main points are. Accordingly I took notes during the mini presentations for Secretaries, Community, Youth Services, International, PR and Vocation, with the idea of briefing Karen when I see her next. One overriding message I left with was the importance of Youth Services in Rotary Clubs, as it is our activities in this area that present our best chances of gaining new members.  I can see the logic in this, but I knew already that working with youngsters is fun, so I am determined that during my year as President we will devote more time and resources to Youth activities, with a committee dedicated to this area.



I rather enjoyed the day in Horsham. It’s always nice to mix with like-minded people, and I was very impressed that so many people gave up a Saturday to run the sessions for us today. All that remained was to find Tony Merrett and get off home. Tony has had a very interesting career, which included being an aircraft pilot in the 1950s. His description of the switch from propeller to jet aircraft was extraordinary, because he said he almost blacked out when he took off in a jet. As a ‘quid pro quo’ for giving me a lift home, he extracted a promise from me to help erect Chertsey club’s marquee at the Black Cherry fair this summer. Well, I could hardly say no, could I?

                                                       Chertsey's Black Cherry Fair

No comments:

Post a Comment