Sunday 21 September 2014

90 Years of Rotary in Richmond

19 September.  I am invited to attend a glittering banquet to celebrate the occasion of 3 Rotary clubs in the London Borough of Richmond reaching the grand age of  90 years. The clubs are Richmond, Teddington & The Hamptons and Twickenham. My heart goes out to those presidents, dragging around their chain of office, bearing the names of their 89 predecessors. They must be exceptionally heavy. 

                                           The Richmond Hill Hotel

So it was that I, accompanied as usual by the DG, eased  into the Friday evening traffic and headed to the Richmond Hill Hotel. This hotel, which describes itself as a boutique hotel, commands a super view over the Thames as it loops round Richmond Park, and is situated in one of the most exclusive, and therefore expensive, parts of West London.

                                             View of the Thames below Richmond Hill

On arrival, we headed straight to the drinks reception, where we met a number of old friends, including  Mukesh Malhotra, Mike Thorn, Nazir Barakzai, and Ron and Helena Daniels.  There was a little confusion when a raffle ticket seller approached IPC (Immediate Past Consort) Helena and me to persuade us to purchase some tickets. The raffle was intended to raise funds for the ongoing fight to eradicate polio from this earth. Helena mis-heard what was said, and thought the prize was a trip to a Polo match. The thought of possibly meeting famous players like Prince Charles  over a chukka of Polo was very attractive to her so I thought I had better intervene before a large sum of money changed hands due to a misunderstanding over the prize fund.

                                      Mike Thorn takes a 'selfie' with Ron and the DG....

                                            ........And the outcome

It was the first black tie event I had attended since becoming Consort, and I must say I have never seen such an array of chains of office, gongs and other bling. Besides the DG, there were no less than 6 Past  Governors (PDGs) of District 1140 in attendance, as well as the mayor of Richmond, councillor Jane Boulton, 3 Club Presidents, not to mention Presidents Elect, Vice Presidents, Paul Harris Fellows and Past Presidents.

            The DG with PDGs Brian Frith, Peter King, Mukesh Malhotra, Len Smith, Mike thorn and Ron Daniels

I had a long conversation with Len Smith, a most interesting man, who besides being a Past District Governor is also a Past President of Rotary International in Britain and Ireland (RIBI). In fact he was District Governor of District 114, which at some stage in the 1980’s became 1140.  Furthermore, when he first joined Rotary in 1958 it was District 14. As Rotary grew over the years, new Districts were regularly being formed, and their numbers gained an additional digit as part of the process.

                                                     With Peter and Di King and the ubiquitous Mike Thorn

When it was time to move through to the Dining Room, I was asked to stay behind until everybody else was seated, thus enabling me to make a proper entrance. So it was that the Mayor,  myself and the DG, RIBI President Peter King, and the three presidents of the celebrating clubs made our entrance to a standing ovation.  I have been to many events where VIPs were ‘clapped in’, but this was my first experience of having my high status being recognised in this way, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. At least I did until I leaned over to the DG and said how much I enjoyed being  clapped in. ‘Clapped out more like’ was her reply. Whatever did she mean?

                                                                 With Michael Barton and Angelique's elbow

The tables were all named after famous cities, and we found ourselves sitting at Rome, as guests of the Richmond Rotary Club, and we were warmly welcomed by President  Michael Barton and his lovely wife Angelique. It turned out that Michael is a fluent French speaker, and offered to assist in my communication with Kinshasa in the Democratic Republic of Congo (a French speaking country)  with regard to the Mission for Vision project. At the table I sat next to Brian Frith, another PDG, and his wife March, a most entertaining and lively couple.

                                                              Rome

As one would expect there were quite a few (thankfully short) speeches, usually of the toasting variety. During one of them I learnt the surprising fact that there are 57 Rotary Clubs of Richmond around the world, including USA, Canada and Australia. It wasn’t really a surprise to find that those countries had towns called Richmond, but I hadn’t expected to learn that there was a Richmond Rotary club in India. We actually received greetings from the 4 Richmond Rotary clubs in Alberta, Canada. The DG was called upon to make a short speech in response to a toast by Ravinder Sharma, the President of Teddington and the Hamptons. She mentioned that one of Teddington’s oldest members was actually nine years old when his Rotary club was Chartered.

                                            The DG makes a speech

The dinner comprised melon followed by Rotary chicken, with a chocolate mousse for dessert.  I couldn’t help noticing that the gentleman sitting opposite me (I don’t recall his name) went to another table to eat his main course, and then came back to our table to eat another!. There’s a true trencherman, I thought, a man after my own heart.

After dinner there was entertainment from  a group called Folk on the Green, which I believe included a local Rotarian. They sang a number of folk songs and other sing-along numbers designed to get people joining in. I like singing, even though the DG tells me I’m not very good at it, and I sang along with gusto. The group seemed to me a folk version of the pop group which played during the RIBI handover at The Stoop last year, with probably a similar target audience.

                                               Folk on the Green

Next on stage was a Bhangra group. I hadn’t seen Bhangra performed live before, but I was aware that it is of Indian derivation and involves loud drumming on a very large double-headed drum called a dhol, around which music and dancing is performed. Their entrance came as a bit of a shock to me, as the drummer suddenly started up with his very loud drumming a few feet from where I was sitting. The group them emerged from a side door and made their way through the audience to the stage.

                                        The Bhangra performers

I was struck by the force of the drumming, but also by the accompanying dancers. I don’t know why, but I had assumed the dancers would be girls, and would perform some dainty dancing moves whilst the drummer played. However I was surprised to find that the four dancers were in fact young men, dressed in highly colourful costumes of yellow and mauve, and dancing very enthusiastically, in a masculine kind of way. .Each of them was burly and bearded, the very antithesis of the delicate girls I was expecting. They looked as if they would be more at home in a rugby scrum than a dance floor.


The music was pre-recorded and formed a backing track to the drumming. Later in the performance a vocalist  sang what I assumed to be Punjabi lyrics to the music. For their final number the troupe encouraged members of the audience to join them in dancing on stage, and a rather unusual disco took place, with the fabulously dressed young men dancing with middle-aged Rotarians in evening dress.

                                                  An unusual disco

It was a fun evening, for which the organisers had obviously gone to a lot of trouble. For me, the evening was crowned by winning a raffle prize of a  meal for two at Thai upon Thames Restaurant in Twickenham. I’ll check whether it will still be valid for my birthday in November.

Incidentally the raffle raised over £1,000 towards the Polio campaign. This will be increased to £3,000 through our double matched funding arrangement with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.  Susanne Rea, from Cairns Sunrise Rotary Club in Australia was visiting this country to promote her joint project with Mukesh called World's Greatest Meal, which is raising funds for Polio. Since I first met her, at the RIBI Conference in Birmingham earlier this year, WGM has raised hundreds of thousands of pounds towards Polio eradication.  


                                Mukesh with Australian Rotarian Susanne Rea 

No comments:

Post a Comment