Monday 29 September 2014

Nigel and Mary leave Shepperton

27 September. Nigel Wilson, a stalwart of Shepperton Aurora Rotary since the club was formed in 1997, and his lovely wife Mary held a farewell party in the garden of their house, to which friends, neighbours and Rotarians were invited.  They are moving to a new home in Somerset. Nigel will be sorely missed at the Rotary Club. He has always been good company, is one of our hardest workers, and is a kind and generous man in many ways.

                                               Nigel presents a cheque to the Riverside Youth Theatre

I was happy to accept the invitation in my role of Consort,  because my presence would probably ensure a good number of attendees, and so it turned out.  I was a little surprised to be asked to bring a contribution to the party in terms of food, though. After all, without my presence, there may not have even been a party worth speaking of, so I would have thought they could have provided me with some vol-au-vents without me having to bring my own.

                                          The DG enjoys the party

Earlier this year, I was able to help the career of Nigel’s daughter, actress Ruth Wilson, who I met at the Shepperton Aurora Prestige Lecture.  At the time she had already had starring roles in the TV adaptation of Jane Eyre a few years back, and more recently in the detective series Luther.  She had appeared in a number of films including Anna Karenina (which was made at Shepperton Studios), Saving Mr Banks and the Hollywood blockbuster The Lone Ranger, in which she appeared with Johnny Depp.  At the Prestige Lecture she insisted that we had a photo taken together, and of course I was happy to oblige.  A few weeks later she  landed a major role in a US TV series. Some might say that she would have got the role anyway, but I think most would agree with me that the ‘Consort Effect’ had a lot to do with it.

                                                 The photo that launched a career

Anyway, back to the party. Not being one to complain at my treatment, I decided to wow the party with some home made Portuguese custard tarts, called pasteis de nata. When we were in Lisbon last year, I fell in love with these delicious little cakes, which we tended to have whenever we stopped for a coffee, which was often. After we got home a colleague at work found a recipe for them online, and I had a go at making them, with surprisingly good results. So I made two batches of 12 for the party, and brought 21 with me (obviously I had to taste a few to make sure they were OK). They were not exactly works of art  (I would call them ‘rustic’) but they tasted delicious and authentic. They all disappeared in a very short time, which is proof enough of their quality.

                                                        Pasteis de nata (not mine)

I was not the only noteworthy chef at the party. Eric Painter had made some curried pasties, which were quite delicious, and there were lots of dips, and sausages, a variety of cheeses and lots more. I particularly liked a beautiful Canterbury tart (made with apples and lemons) but alas, I didn’t find out who made it. If I had done I would have asked for the recipe.

                                                     A Canterbury tart

We tried to get all the members of Shepperton Aurora together at the end for a photo with Nigel and Mary, but this took a long time, as different people kept  wandering off.  Someone likened it to trying to herd cats.  Eventually, everyone came together, pictures were taken, and we all headed off home. The DG and I got half way home then turned back, as I had forgotten the Tupperware container  in which I had brought my tarts. This is a family heirloom.


                      Nigel (far left) and Mary (kneeling) with Shepperton Aurora Rotary

No comments:

Post a Comment