Monday 15 September 2014

Last Night Of The Proms


13 September 2013.  I have been invited to attend the Last Night of the Proms!  The invitation came from Feltham Rotary Club and I have been looking forward to it for a few weeks. The BBC Proms are now in their 120th year, and run for several weeks over the summer months at the Royal Albert Hall in London, bringing a wide variety of music to the audience. The last Night is usually held in a party atmosphere, with popular classics being followed by patriotic songs. The audience are encouraged to wave flags throughout.

                                            Royal Albert Hall

The word Prom is short for promenade concert, a term which originally referred to outdoor concerts in London's parks, where the audience was free to stroll around while the orchestra was playing.  This principle is retained today, with ‘promenaders’ being those who stand throughout the performances on the floor of the Hall, and consequently paying much less for their tickets.

I can only remember going to a concert at the Royal Albert Hall once before, when we went to see the famous Greek singer Demis Roussos back in the 1970’s. He was very big at that time, in every sense of the word, and we enjoyed the performance, although we were so far from the stage we could hardly see him. I expected to have better seats for this show.

                                                       Demis Roussos

Once again, things didn’t work out exactly as I had expected. It hadn’t been fully explained to me that we would be going to Feltham’s meeting venue at Fairholme Hall, and watching the Proms on television.  There I was, resplendent in my Union Jack waistcoat and hat, watching the television in Bedfont!  Naturally, I didn’t let my disappointment show, as I was determined to maintain my dignity as Consort. Incidentally, the DG wasn’t at all disappointed that we ended up in Bedfont. She maintained that she knew all along that we weren’t going to London. It must have been just me, then.

                                                 Fairholme Hall Bedfont

The Feltham Rotarians certainly went to a lot of effort to make the night a success. The Hall was decorated with Union flags, hats, party poppers , balloons, and those things you blow through to make a loud noise (they seem quite funny the first couple of times, but by the end of the evening my amusement  at these sudden rasping noises was wearing a bit thin). The evening was well supported by local Rotary clubs, with a group from my club, Shepperton Aurora, as well as Hounslow, Twickenham and Shepperton & Sunbury. There were also two Inner Wheel clubs represented.

                                                  Patriotic fervour
                                      
During the first part of the Concert, shown on BBC2, dinner was served by our hosts, who had cooked it themselves. We chose between cottage pie, vegetarian curry, or a quiche. I opted for the curry, and found it delicious. I even got seconds. Dessert was raspberry jelly or orange jelly; I couldn’t choose between them so had one of each. We had some unexpected entertainment on our table when Peter McDonough, whilst trying to blow up a balloon, sent a glass of red wine flying across the table, and into his wife Ann’s lap. Unfortunately she had chosen to wear white trousers that night.  She put on a brave face, but I suspect Peter was in big trouble when he got home.

                                                 Just seconds from disaster, Peter tries to blow up a balloon

We all watched the second part of the Concert on BBC1. It was an ecletic mix of music, ranging from Ravel’s Tzigane to a medley of songs from Mary Poppins, and finished off, as usual with a triumphant rendition of ‘Land of Hope and Glory’, ‘Rule Britannia’, and ‘Jerusalem’.  I know I should know the words to these songs, but I took the precaution of bringing song sheets with me, which enabled me to sing along. The conductor for the evening, Sakari Oramo, who is the chief conductor of the BBC Symphony Orchestra and a Finn, ingratiated himself to the audience by wearing a waistcoat with a Union Jack emblazoned on the front.  However, when he turned round, the Finnish flag was on the back.

                                              Daphne Cass and Mukesh Malhotra

                                                  The DG enjoys the party

                                             Who threw that?

It was an enjoyable evening, and our friends at Feltham really did very well for us, and a good sum was raised for Charity that evening. Unusually for me, I won a bottle of Madeira wine in the raffle, which I shall enjoy at leisure.


No comments:

Post a Comment