Thursday 5 November 2015

Wounded Knee Part 1 - Injury

I have neglected my blog for a few months, and my regular reader may be wondering why.  It is not only that my career as Consort to the District Governor came to an end at the end of June, when I suddenly became the Immediate Past Consort to the Immediate Past District Governor, or IPDG. Several other things conspired to make my life very busy since the end of June, not least of which is that I have been in hospital for major surgery on my knee.

Past glories - the DG in her pomp

My right knee had been feeling sore for some years, and seemed to be getting worse as time went on. I knew that the underlying reasons were probably related to injuries sustained during my football playing days as a young man. I used to play Saturday and Sunday every week, and if I picked up an injury I would rarely seek medical attention but would just wait until it felt OK before carrying on playing. That approach seemed fine when I was in my twenties, but it came back to haunt me as I got older.
My football career begins - Salesian College Chertsey under 12s

About a year ago I plucked up courage to mention it to my doctor. He referred me to Ashford Hospital for an X Ray and got me an appointment with one of the surgeons, Mr Cameron-Smith. It’s interesting about surgeons that they don’t seem to be  called ‘Doctor’, but simply ‘Mister’.  Anyway I went along to see him, expecting that I would have an arthroscopy, a procedure whereby debris around the knee joint is cleaned out and would solve my problem, albeit temporarily.

                                                             Ashford Hospital

 I was a bit taken aback when he told me that I had osteoarthritis on my knee joint, and there was nothing he could do for me other than a complete knee replacement. He showed me the X-Ray, which indicated my bones rubbing together, with hardly any cartilage between them. Never having stayed overnight in a hospital before (except perhaps when I was born) I wasn’t sure I wanted such an operation, and he gave me 6 months to think about it and to come back if I wanted to proceed, or just discuss further.
My X-Ray

In January this year I went back, still unsure, and he gave me another 6 months to consider it, but warned me that in his opinion, I would not be able to walk in a year’s time. Over the next month or two the soreness did seem to be getting worse, and I realised I was starting to walk with a limp. So in April I went back to him and asked him to put me on the waiting list for an operation. It wasn’t long before I was given a date (20th July) for the operation, which I was told would entail at least two nights in hospital, maybe more, depending on my recovery.



About a month beforehand I was summoned for a pre-op assessment, where basically I was taken through the process of what would happen in the operating theatre, and exercises I should start doing to prepare myself.  I also underwent various tests to check I was fit enough to be operated on. I was even handed the type of knee joint that I would have inserted in my leg. It was in two pieces, which were made of a mixture of titanium and plastic, and I was surprised by how heavy they were. ‘Blimey’ I thought,  ‘I’ll be walking lopsided with these in my knee.’

A knee joint like mine

No comments:

Post a Comment