Friday 20 June 2014

RIBI Handover 2013


It seemed that we weren’t back from Lisbon very long when  it was time to attend the District Governor handover event. Unusual for this year, it was being combined with the RIBI President’s handover. This is because the new President of RIBI, Nan McCreadie is a member of Feltham Rotary club, which is within our District, 1140. So she was handed the RIBI presidential chain of office by the outgoing President, John Minhinick. Following this Mike Thorn handed over the District 1140 chain of office to the new  District Governor, Ron Daniels.

The ceremony was held at The Stoop, home ground of Harlequins rugby team, where coincidentally, Ron Daniels is a season ticket holder. I was delighted to attend this venue, as I have been a follower of Harlequins for many years, as they are the nearest Premiership team to where I live. This wasn’t always the case, because for most of my life London Irish were nearest, as their home ground was at The Avenue in Sunbury. However, a few years ago they moved their home ground to the Madejski Stadium in Reading. Consequently I switched my allegiance to Harlequins. I have always liked their kit, and for several years I have worn the ‘Retro’ (i.e. without advertising logos) shirt with pride. To be honest I’ve never actually seen them play, but then most Manchester United fans have never seen their team play, so I’m not alone. I came close once, a couple of seasons ago, when Ron invited me to join him in his Executive Box, but I was otherwise engaged, so the opportunity passed.

                                                                                                  The Stoop

Anyway, getting back to the point, we arrived on a pleasant summer’s day, after an easy journey (It’s only 15 minutes from us).  I was immediately struck by how far some of the guests had travelled to be present at this event.  Jim Moulson, former RIBI President, who the DGN and I have got to know, travelled from Scotland (I’m presuming this, as he is a Scot), and others had come from all over the country.  There was a good turnout from the District Team, so we had a pleasant evening.

                          The new DGE (with ribbon) and Helena Daniels, consort to this year's DG

There was musical entertainment from a band who, on paper at least, sounded good. They had produced  a small booklet with the words to songs they would be singing, to encourage us to sing along. I was impressed. Some of my all time favourite songs were included, such as Proud Mary, American Pie and Delilah, and I was looking forward to belting out these numbers as the band got into their stride. Unfortunately it didn’t really turn out like that. The band had a very subdued style,  more suited for background music, and worse still, they managed to make each song sound like the one before.  Upon reading their biography in the programme it said they often had gigs in old people’s rest homes.  I know that not all Rotarians are spring chickens,  but I suspect the band misjudged its audience somewhat.  However, the music was happily not an obstacle to Vivian doing some networking.

                                                                                          The band entertain us

So, unable to join in a rowdy sing-song, I turned my attention to the food, which was a barbecue, served outside, alongside the rugby pitch. There was no disappointment here, as huge joints of pork, beef and lamb were served up, with salads and potatoes. There was more than enough for everyone, and I must admit I went back for seconds. Even so, there was a lot left over at the end of the evening, and we took a large joint of cooked pork home with us, which went straight into the freezer, and was enjoyed some weeks later, for Sunday lunch.
                                                                    The new DGE does some networking........


                                                                                     And some more networking.....


                                                                              And more networking



The formal part of the evening didn’t take very long. John Minhinick, with a minimum of fuss handed over his chain to Nan McCreadie (incidentally the first woman President of RIBI), and then Mike Thorn handed over to Ron Daniels. I was also promoted at this event, as I moved from being Consort to the DGN to Consort to the DGE. Nobody told me what the’E’ stood for, but I like to think it means ‘Extraordinaire’. Vivian also stepped up at this event, and actually received a chain of office (well, more of a ribbon, actually) but to my surprise there was no bling for the Consort. I made my views on this injustice perfectly clear to anyone within earshot, although on reflection it was probably just an oversight, which will be corrected later. Buoyed up by this thought, I decided not to take my complaint any further.


So, just 12 months to go before I take up my post of Consort to the District Governor. What a treat it will be for the District. I spent some time at The Stoop telling people about my plans to develop the role of Consort to the DGE, as it wasn’t too difficult to be heard over the music, but didn’t really have much time. Just my luck that everyone I started to talk to on this subject was just about to go home. It wasn’t long before we also headed for home, with a joint of pork under my arm, having administered a peck on the cheek of the new President of RIBI.

No comments:

Post a Comment